Privacy & Security
This privacy explains the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with YouBoat Marine, how we’ll store and handle the data and how we keep it safe.
YouBoat may change the privacy notice from time to time. Updates will be published on this page and are available from email@example.com.
Basis of collection
- Consent: We may ask for your consent to collect and process your data, for example, when you tick a box to receive newsletters.
- Contractual obligations: We may need your data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, collecting your address so we can pass to the courier for delivery.
- Legal compliance: If the law requires, we may need to collect and process your data. For example, providing information of people involved in criminal activity to law enforcement authorities.
- Legitimate interest: We require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running a business. For example, using your purchase history to make available personalised offers.
When we collect your data
- When you visit our website and use your account or check out as a guest.
- When you shop in store and use your account or Loyalty Scheme.
- When you make an enquiry by phone or email, or if you phone to make payment.
- When you create an account (personal, club or trade) or Loyalty Scheme membership.
- When you shop online we collect information through cookies and similar.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you choose to enter a competition or draw in store or online, to answer a questionnaire.
- When you sign up to our newsletter.
- When you visit our shops we have security CCTV systems which will record your image.
What we collect
- Account or Loyalty Scheme membership: your name, billing/delivery address, phone, email, orders and receipts, newsletter preference, purchase location (eg which store). For your security we also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Online purchases: your name, billing/delivery address, phone, email, payment method (but not card or bank details), order and receipts, and IP address.
- Phone or email conversations: you name, phone, email and details of orders, returns or complaints.
- In store: Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop.
- Digital marketing: Opens and clicks on email newsletters and marketing campaigns using Pixels.
- Product reviews: Username, account (if applicable) and review details.
- Social media: Username.
This information may be collected in forms you complete, or through cookies (see Cookies Policy)
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and for the following reasons:
- To process your order online and in store, and to obtain payment.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints.
- To send you email notifications when you place a product in your online basket and abandon browsing before checkout.
- To send you promotional emails about new products and offers (if you do not opt out).
- For our internal record keeping.
- To display interesting and relevant products to you online.
- To administer a competition or prize draw you have entered.
- To develop and improve the website and other products we offer you, based on our legitimate interest.
- To comply with contractual or legal requirements to share data with law enforcement.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to improve our services.
- To protect our premises and assets we operate CCTV in our stores. Our CCTV does not have facial recognition, nor does it collect biometrics.
We will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our website using https technology.
Access to your personal data is password protected. Sensitive data such as payment card information is held and processed by third parties like our bank.
We do not process credit or debit card transactions. These payments are made through a secure payment gateway provided by our bank, outside of our website. We do not collect, store, or process any card information.
How long we keep your data
We only keep your data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. For example, we will hold your order details for six years.
Who we share your data with
We may share your data with trusted third parties. For example:
- When you pay online by card, you will be transferred to the bank’s secure payment gateway.
- We will share your name, delivery address, email and phone with the courier company for delivery.
- If you subscribe or unsubscribe to our email newsletter system, such as MailChimp.
- Online live chat, such as Tawk.
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Google/Facebook to show you products that might interest you when browsing the internet. This is based on your consent for cookies.
We only provide the information that the third party needs to perform their specific service.
Where your data may be processed
We are a British company, and we will process your data in the UK. We may also process your data in the EU and outside of the EU, depending on the server location of trusted third party partners.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- The deletion of the data we hold about you, in specific circumstances; for example, when you withdraw consent or object, and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
- A computer file in a common format (CSV or similar) containing the personal data that you have previously provided to us, and the right to have your information transferred to another entity where this is technically possible.
- Restriction of the use of your personal data, in specific circumstances, generally while we are deciding on an objection you have made.
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If we choose not to action your request, we will explain the reasons for our refusal.
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
In cases where we are processing your personal data based on our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data, such as administration of an extended warranty.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Contacting the Information Commissioner
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113 or www.ico.org.uk/concerns
YouBoat Marine is a trading style of C-Front Trading Ltd.